Posted in Uncategorized, tagged APEC, protests on Saturday, 8 September, 2007|
1 Comment »
After all the commotion, it looks like the “violent protestors” amounted to no more than a few of the thousands of people who turned out for today’s march:
NINE protestors were arrested and two officers left injured after clashes between police and demonstrators during today’s anti-APEC rally.
Police said one officer suffered a head wound when hit with an iron bar while another was hit in the head with a dart during the protest which attracted about 3000 demonstrators.
The nine protestors arrested will face charges of assaulting police, throw missile, offensive behaviour and resisting arrest.
NEWS.com.au witnessed two men being slammed onto the ground after police spotted them in the middle of the angry, vocal mob as it headed along Park St towards Hyde Park.
Apart from those two incidents of police being injured, it looks like the arrests were mostly people who police were looking out for, e.g.:
In the first arrest, a shout of “Watch out for that man” was heard before police sprinted nearly the entire length of a city block to crash-tackle him into the gutter.
Other protesters rushed over to watch the action.
In the second arrest, police again rushed into the crowd, dragging a tall man wearing a black mask from the middle of the road and slamming him heavily onto the footpath.
He was then marched to a waiting police van.
news.com.au had some liveblogging from the event. It indicates that some of the arrests were “blacklisted” demonstrators, which fits with the reporting above. I don’t imagine we will ever be given enough information to establish that there were reasonable grounds to detain people who apparently did nothing more than march.
And lest anyone think George Walker Bush was the only target of demonstrators:
Meanwhile, about 1,000 people from the Vietnamese and Tibetan communities held a protest against the Chinese President at Sydney’s Belmore Park.
Rally organiser Tenpa Dugdak has called on Prime Minister John Howard to make human rights in China an APEC issue.
“It’s so important – this meeting that happened, 21 leaders – great, but [don’t] just discuss about trade, discuss about human rights, environmental problems that can really impact on a global scale,” he said.
Kudos to all of those who turned out, despite all the scare-mongering, to show their objections to the current lack of integrity and leadership in our country, in Western democracies, and in the Asia-Pacific region. The Chaser team showed that the massive security clamp-down was futile in the practical sense, while the march today has shown that it was futile in principle – because this type of rhetoric was designed to scare people away, not to reflect the truth:
CHIEF Superintendent Stephen Cullen, the head of the NSW Police Riot Squad, laid it on the line this week. Sydney, he said, was on the brink of violence and civil disobedience on a scale never witnessed here.
Violent agitators were “well-drilled and disciplined” and the police intelligence was disturbing, cautioned the burly police veteran, who also carries the title of Civil Order Commander for APEC. “I have absolutely no doubt that minority groups will engage in a level of violence not previously experienced in Sydney,” he said. “Never in my career have I held such serious concerns for public safety.”
Of course, as Jeremy reminds us, the lack of violence just shows us that Chief Superintendent Cullen and his friends in the police and government were right.
Thanks for keeping the world safe from the “feral left”, fellas. You protected us from the Chaser boys, and now you’ve protected us from a bunch of families marching from Town Hall to Hyde Park.
UPDATE: Andrew Bolt is a tool. Feel free to go and poke holes in his logic via his comments section.
Read Full Post »